12 January 2012

The Longest Day at the Fastest Growing City Where the Tallest Buildings Are


Khawla, is an artist doing her internship for the project we are involved. Dubai, as the city possessing the glory of almost all the ‘mosts’ in the world; gave the most beautiful eyes to this lady, as well as a great hospitality.
After an introductory tour in the morning to Tashkeel, we returned back to Bastakiya. I continued working on my project for THAT magazine, until Khawla showed up at Number 47, where we reside. She was very keen on figuring out our needs, for both the house and our projects, so that we would have maximum control on our works.
We went to Mercato Mall, a little Venice enclosed in a shopping centre, where we had a nice cup of coffee and discussed our needs. I always thought Venice has a very oriental look, and is more shopping oriented than the other Italian cities, so it somehow really makes sense to inspire from it.
Burj Khalifa
Then Khawla drove us to Jumeirah Beach to catch the sunset. Such a strange feeling to be conscious of being at the right place, at the right time for an aim. There were hundreds of other people sharing the same goal. What an unworldly landscape it was! I don’t think words are enough to describe the surreal feeling I experienced. Thus I attached the video below at least to illustrate a tiny moment of that sensation.   



Jumeirah Beach

After eating our Baratas, we headed to Palm Jumeirah, the most unusual island in the whole world. This giant artificial palm shaped island is much bigger than I imagined when I was spying on Google Maps, in Glasgow. What a daring architecture I thought. From “0” to the “Most”! Khawla got special permission from her friend to take us to one of branches of the palm, to Frond L, where summer houses of famous people and politicians from all around the world take place.
Then we went to Jumeirah Beach Residence, the wonderland, where the buildings go beyond the stars! I felt very tiny and unimportant within this urban landscape; maybe very similar to how people in the past would have felt when they were within a Gothic Cathedral. I should say, I really enjoyed the feeling of allowing myself to be that passive; or basically the feeling of “letting it go”.
JBR

We ended up our grand tour at the Mall of the Emirates, with a dinner just by Ski Dubai. I had watched this engineering miracle, the snowland, on Quest when I was in Glasgow. I wouldn’t believe it if I hadn’t seen it in real. 
Ski Dubai
My watch was showing 11.30pm when we got back, exhausted. It was so amazing, but conflicting to feel that important and grand with the hospitality given by Khawla, but also so tiny and futile when embraced by Jumeirah. I admire contradictions, so this is the way I love Dubai so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment