30 January 2012

Cinnamon Chiclets


Today I had an extreme experience. I almost got fined on the train for chewing a gum! I had to hand in my metro card and my ID, just before I started to beg for forgiveness. The lady sitting across me was questioned in the same way because of sucking a pastille for her sore throat. She survived after showing her prescription, as a proof. After I arrived at my stop, the attendants jumped out with me; then felt pity for me and let me go without a punishment. I promised not to chew any gum again.  These trains are not operated by a driver,  they have their own will. However, you have to give up your own will during these journeys. I couldn’t see any warnings against chewing gums or eating sweets at the station, but I will be cautious next time about not to put anything to my mouth. This was unusual of course; over the ground, things are quite liberal. At least I had a funny story to tell Hadeyah and Zeinab at Tashkeel.  
Yesterday night was fantastic. All the partners of the project and all the residency artists and curator went to this famous Emirati restaurant called Al Fanar. Unnecessarily, I left my camera at home so I’m afraid I have to steal these two photos from the website of the restaurant. The food was excellent. We were served every kind of meat from every type of animal (I don’t wanna talk about the baby shark though), with 7 different type and colour of rice. It was a feast from the fairy tales, and another example of generous Emirati hospitality.  

Back to today; I believe I had an efficient day in terms of work. I jig-sawed the windows and cut the fringes, which took quite a while. And finally finished making the waterproof funnel for the bucket of the Glasgow tower, which I was delaying for ages. Today was the first day I was convinced that the work was coming together, and I could see it finishing on time. Why do I have to be such a panicky person? How uncool is that! 

We had a really nice chat with Zeinab. She is very bright, and I love her ambition. She has two great ideas for two different works, but it’s not up to me sharing them here. Looking forward to see their processes, throughout our residency. Besides, with Zeinab’s arrival, we gained one more member to the gang of ladies, who love workshop machinery. Tashkeel please hear us, and please but please  buy us a mig welder. I am more than happy to give an induction to whoever is interested in.
Today I also met Rebecca Rendell at Tashkeel, who is having an opening tomorrow at the small gallery. Her work looks very intriguing, and full of little surprises. Can’t wait to see it tomorrow at the opening, once the set up is completed.

No comments:

Post a Comment