5 February 2012

Almost There




This is my favourite landscape in Dubai. It is quite near to Nad al Sheba and I pass by it every day on my way to Tashkeel: A complete nothingness decorated with electric pylons and traffic cones. It is very much out of this world, in a different sense than the other face of Dubai. Only if I had some more time here, I would have loved to shoot a film in this area.
I am always given a lift to Tashkeel by very kind Khalid, Salama and Hadeyah. But this saturday was Prophet Muhammed’s birthday, so I had to make my way to Tashkeel and back with a taxi. On the way back, I had a really nice chat with the taxi driver. He asked me where I am from and where I live. I answered these questions as Istanbul and Glasgow. He was really knowledgeable about the world economy and asked me that tricky question of which city provides a better life. I said Istanbul proposes more job opportunities, but Glasgow feeds me better for my work. And then we started talking about him. He said he is from Pakistan and he is doing alright here, but he said he will return back to his homeland. We talked about the inequality in Dubai. He was another worker in the Emirate who directly handed his passport to his employer, as soon as he entered the country. He said he started to read about capitalism and started to grow revolutionary ideas. The Pakistani drivers in his company went on a strike, but then the company stopped accepting employees from that country, which I believe shouldn’t be silencing. I asked about unions in the Emirates, and he said there is none. That was another issue in my opinion, that has to be resolved.  It was a pleasure to talk to him. When we arrived Bastakiya, I gave him my blog address and asked him what he is going to do when he returns back to Pakistan. He said, he loves working for people. I asked if he is going to be a driver. He said, he will work for revolution, revolution for people; working for people. I was really pleased.
On Saturday night, we had a great meeting with all the artists at the Tashkeel House, in Bastakiya. Zeinab and I presented our works to the others. We had discussions and three different pizzas! Ali was so kind to arrange all these. I was so excited by Zeinab’s project; even more so than my own!
After a fruitful artist meeting yesterday; today –sunday- was quite satisfactory in terms of the work I have done. Finally I am the protagonist of the photos in my blog! Beautiful Salama, is not only a very good printmaker but also a secret great photographer. So all these photos with me in it are credited with her name.

The ceiling parts of the towers are coming together; ready to be painted by plaster+wood glue. I also roughened the surfaces of the windows to cover them with concrete. Hopefully tomorrow will be my experiment day. Maybe my first proper experimental day, as I never worked with cement before. I can’t wait to play with it!

I will also have some conversations with Nasır about his work, and his sketches. Looking forward to see them really, as I don’t know much about Nasır’s practice and his proposal for the residency. Besides,  hoping to talk to Hadeyah as well about her work. (I love her so much)

2 comments:

  1. The project seems to be coming up nicely :)
    The drivers here have a really difficult life. It is said that earlier they had to give only a fixed sum to their respective employers, so they were able to earn quite a handsome amount. But now whatever they earn, a percentage of it is taken by their employers. i am not sure what percentage, but it is actually quite high

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Purvi. It's always lovely to read your comments. I get really excited when I see them.

      Delete