12 February 2012

"Eat My Fur Coat! Eat!"



Another metro related amazing story... I am quite enjoying wearing my skanky working suit on the metro and provoke the guards of the train. I think they are the only Emirati group that I do not have much positive feelings towards. Ali and I came to a conclusion that it was definitely my painted and dirty boiler suit that encouraged the guards to fine me for chewing a gum, in the earlier weeks.
Today, on the way back from Dragon Mart, after a successful MIG Welder shopping with Kuti, from Tashkeel; I came to Rashidiya station for my train home. I was satisfied with the pleasure of finding something that I was looking for, for weeks; then I received another good news from Rami on the phone, about the arrival of the car tyres I was expecting.  Just after I hang up the phone with a smile on my face, my train arrived. At the same time the guard lady, unexpectedly pulled me to a corner; just about to fine me for talking on my mobile which every 2 from 3 people do! She brought me to the soldiers dressed in formal outfits. I just thought, “Oh no, not again”. This time fortunately I didn’t have to defend myself, but the soldiers told the guard lady something like “Let her go, what are you doing?!” in Arabic. And then she freed me, and I could hardly catch my train that I was waiting for a fair amount of time. I am literally planning to keep a diary for my metro memoirs with my ugly suit. If I wasn’t blonde, things could have been much worse.
Dragon Mart
The Depot where we were taken to get our welder

On the other hand, I had a really good and productive time at Tashkeel. Salama, Jack and Lateefa support me a lot with my needs and try to eliminate whatever problems I may have in my work environment. I would never imagine that finding a MIG would be that difficult, as everyone is either selling an arc welder, or industrial welders with big mains plug; which would be supposedly more expensive and maybe difficult to use. So I went to look for one with Kuti, first to Speedex; and then to Dragon Mart, the place I always wanted to see. Amazing and crazy China Market, Town, City, whatever you would like to call. It was all indoors but consist of maybe hundreds of streets, selling various things that my imagination cannot cope with. We finally found what we were looking for. After a good bargain, we paid 850 DHS which corresponds to 146 pounds. Not bad at all!! We now need to sort out CO2, and other accessories. I’m looking forward to take Tom there when he arrives, I should get my little toy cars from there, for my Dubai tower.

Today, I was also amazed by another fact: I learnt that very little percentage of the crazy towers like Burj Khalifa are actually occupied by people. There are not as many Western or Emirati businessmen to fill that amount of offices, so they are mainly empty. I was really impressed because this means that they are literally monuments, very big public sculptures rather than architectural and obtainable living spaces. When considering the monumental history of Turkey, when it was first established; the imagery and the symbolism were obviously more literal. In the 21st century, these abstract, futuristic monuments of Dubai carry the name of the rulers or the emirates like the modern age monuments; but the signature and the message are subtler. On the other hand, they still continue to symbolise the strength of the unity and the unbeatable power. If you are powerful enough, you could be gifted with literally partaking within these monuments. Such a unique way of demonstration!

I have received my very first mails by post. Tom and Jan made my day today. Thank you so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment